An intensive program for those keen get involved in backcountry skiing, snowboarding and ski mountaineering, designed to help you master the basics of ski touring.
This course is made for those who have already developed a taste for deep powder and pristine slopes, who are eager to move away from lifts and resorts, and who want to feel at one with nature while going up the hill as well as riding the baddest descents. We’ll immerse you in the world of life in the mountains, living in huts away from civilization, riding in some of the most picturesque areas around Almaty – which are only accessible on foot.
The Ski Tour School will help you build the skills you need for effective, safe and logical ascents in search of the deepest powder and the best lines. We will also help you learn to understand the snow, assess the slopes, and move safely over avalanche-prone terrain.
– Learning about ski touring equipment and how to use it;
– Learning all about climbing skins – how to put them on, how to take them off and how to store them without damaging them;
– Assessing slopes, selecting safe routes for ascent and descent;
– Movement on flat snow and on 30- and 45-degree inclines;
– Mastering turns, including AVA turns and kickturns;
– General rules for skiing off piste in the backcountry;
– Techniques for riding on different types of terrain with varying types of snow coverage;
– The basics of carrying out search and rescue activities using avalanche safety equipment
Detailed information on programme dates and spaces available can be found in the calendar.
Our team is flexible, and will be happy to create a special programme on dates which are convenient for you.
The cost includes:
Instruction from a qualified mountain guide; transfers; 4 nights’ accommodation in cabins and mountain huts; general camping equipment: tent (if necessary), stove, etc.; meals; loan of avalanche safety equipment (beeper, probe, shovel).
Number of participants:
You will need to be:
– confident riding on piste (including the steep black runs);
– in good physical shape, able to walk for long distances uphill at altitude;
– inspired to develop your skills and abilities – and most importantly to have fun 🙂
You will need:
– Skis with touring bindings (or adapters), or a splitboard for snowboarders;
– climbing skins for your skis / splitboard;
– Ski poles (folding or telescopic poles for snowboarders);
– Backpack, minimum 60l with straps for carrying your skis or snowboard;
– Warm clothes (waterproof outer shell, fleece, down jacket in case of cold weather);
– Goggles (ideally with lenses for bright and flat light);
– Four season or winter sleeping bag (these can be rented);
– Head torch;
– Mug, spoon, bowl and knife.