Ski Mountaineering and extreme backcountry
To go ski mountaineering in the Zailiisky Alatau around Almaty is to scale 4,000 metre-plus peaks and thread lines down untouched couloirs and glaciers. Given how few people ride these mountains, chances are you’ll be able to put in a first descent or two along the way.
The Zailiisky Alatau is full of world-class lines waiting to be discovered by those bold enough to look for them. This program is designed for riders who are in good physical shape, are confident and experienced in the backcountry, and are ready to open new horizons at new altitudes.
While we’re at it, we can also throw in optional classes to teach you more about how to use avalanche safety equipment and how to communicate by radio in the backcountry, as well as train you in the use of climbing equipment, rope skills, and riding on mixed, high-altitude terrain.
You will need to be:
– confident riding on and off piste (including the steepest black runs);
– in good physical shape, able to climb long distances at altitude;
– familiar with the basics of mountaineering (helpful but not essential);
– inspired to develop your skills and abilities – and most importantly to have fun 🙂
Variable, but allow 2-3 days for a single peak or 4 days for a combined 2-3 summit expedition.
The cost includes:
Services of a qualified mountain guide; transfers; accommodation including general camping equipment: tent (if necessary), stove, etc.; meals; loan of avalanche safety equipment (beeper, probe, shovel); loan of mountaineering equipment, optional classes on using avalanche safety equipment and mountaineering equipment.
Our team is flexible, and will be happy to create a special programme on dates which are convenient for you.
You will need:
– Skis with touring bindings, or a splitboard for snowboarders;
– climbing skins for your skis / splitboard;
– Ski poles (folding or telescopic poles for snowboarders);
– Backpack, minimum 60l with straps for carrying your skis or snowboard;
– Warm clothes (waterproof outer shell, fleece, down jacket in case of cold weather);
– Goggles (ideally with lenses for bright and flat light);
– Four season or winter sleeping bag (these can be rented);
– Head torch;
– Mug, spoon, bowl and knife.
– Tuyuk-su: Ordzhonikidze, Partizan, Igly Tyyuk-su
– Chkalov Peak
– SGU Peak, Soviet Alpinists
– Pogrebetskiy Peak
– Molodezhny Peak
– Ozerny Peak
– Soviet Peak