Dates: 13-17 March, 3-7 April, 10-14 April.
*We’re happy to organise the programme on dates to suit your group – please contact us for more information.
An intensive 5-day backcountry programme in the couloirs above the Shymbulak ski resort and from the summits of the Eastern and Western branches of the Maloalmatinsky ridge surrounding the Bogdanovich glacier.
The freeride spots above Shymbulak are easy to access but nonetheless rarely explored and contain unique lines, including some unridden first descents. Join us on this 5-day trip to discover Shymbulak from a new perspective and look down on the fashionable Almaty ski set from a great height 🙂
Ascents of varying degrees of steepness and difficulty start the highest lift-accessible point of Shymulak’s, the Talgar Pass (3150m).
• Shymbulak is Almaty’s oldest, closest and most-accesible ski resort, and one of the best in Central Asia. The base station is at 2,260m, and two modern gondola lifts take skiiers up to the Talgar Pass at at 3,150 via a number of pistes equipped with a modern snowmaking system for early and late season. The territory surrounding the resort is rich in freeride spots with beautiful views of Almaty and the surrounding Peaks of the Western Tien Shan.
Timing: March / April.
* We’re happy to organise the programme on dates to suit your group – please contact us to discuss.
Please note that this programme is designed for skiers / snowboarders who are confident on the piste (including black runs), have some experience of riding off piste, and are in good physical shape.
Group size: 3-4 people.
$400 per person
Guide, return cable car transfer from Medeu to Shymbulak, Shymbulak lift pass for the first day of the programme, bed and breakfast accomodation in a mountain hut on the Talgar Pass (3,150m), avalanche equipment rental (beacon, shovel, probe).
Lunch / dinner is not included but is available in the many bars and restaurants at Shymbulak – alternatively, the mountain hut has a basic kitchen so you can bring food and prepare your own meals.
Your guide: Oleg Shkutin.
Day 1. Meet at the Medeu cable car station. Take the cable car to Shymbulak and two gondola lifts to the Talgar Pass.
Acclimatisation tour (big couloir below Peak Shkolnik or the ‘Cone’, depending on conditions). Option to ski the pistes at Shymbulak. Ascent to the mountain hut.
Days 2-3-4-5. Skitouring / splitboarding in the couloirs around the summits of Peak Shkolnik, Peak Edelweis, Peak Abay, Peak Fizkulturnik, and Peak Chkalov.
We’ll choose our routes based on the weather, the snow conditions and the ability of the group.
Day 5. Descent from the Talgar Pass to Shymbulak and transfer from Shymbulak to Medeu.
What to bring:
2. Avalanche probe
3. Avalanche shovel
4. Ski / alpine crampons
1. Skis / snowboard / snowshoes
2. Ski boots / snowboard boots
3. Ski / splitboard poles
5. Climbing skins
Clothing and accessories:
2. Sleeping bag
3. Torch (with spare batteries)
4. Medical kit
5. Down jacket / vest
6. Waterproof shell (jacket and trousers)
7. Ski gloves
8. Thermal underwear
9. Fleece / midlayer
10. Thinner gloves for ascending / wearing at base camp
13. Skiing / trekking socks
14. Regular socks